Iconic LA sculptor Ken Price, 77, died early today after struggling with tongue and throat cancer for several years. He recently completed preparations for his retrospective, which opens this fall at LACMA and travels to the Nasher Sculpture Center next year. Christopher Knight’s extensive obituary chronicles Price’s early education, his breakout shows at Ferus Gallery and his incorporation of LA industrial paint colors and the “verve, frequent humor and evident humanity” of Mexican folk ceramics.
also by Rainey Knudson
- VIDEO: Texas Contemporary Art Fair Opening Night 2015 - October 5th, 2015
- Is Maxwell Anderson Bored With Art? - September 28th, 2015
- Notes from the Broad - September 25th, 2015
- Announcing Off Road: Robert Irwin & Michael Govan - September 18th, 2015
- How to Make a Painting in the 21st Century - September 12th, 2015