UT’s Blanton Museum has commissioned alum Jules Buck Jones to create a temporary outdoor installation in the museum’s Faulkner Plaza for the annual Explore UT event, set for March 3, when thousands of young visitors tour the campus.
This is the Blanton’s second outdoor commission, it follows the much-loved Knitted Wonderland by Austin resident and international yarn-bomber Magda Sayeg, commissioned for last year’s event.
Jones’ piece is a series of of larger-than-life, brightly painted plywood masks depicting the faces of a fox, owl, and alligator, each with appropriate noises inside. A fourth work, to be installed inside the museum, will incorporate video projections. The pieces will be on view from March 3-12.
also by Bill Davenport
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015
- Two Cents for Houston's New Cultural Plan - April 25th, 2015
- New Art Lands in the Woodlands - April 24th, 2015
- Bob Wade Revamps First Public Sculpture - in Waco! - April 19th, 2015