An amusing and embarrassing story in today’s NY Times relates how UC Berkeley accidentally sold a carved redwood panel by WPA artist Sargent Johnson for $150 (+tax) from it’s surplus furniture depot. There’s a happy ending, though- through the sharp eyes and acquisitive instincts of a lucky antique dealer, the piece was re-sold for an undisclosed sum between $200,000 and $1 million to the the Huntington Library, Art Collections and Botanical Gardens in San Marino, where it will be on public display, a prominent part of the museum’s American art collection.
also by Bill Davenport
- Lego My Art! - January 30th, 2016
- Archive: Painting on My Planet/The Top Ten Painters in Houston - January 1st, 2016
- Archive: Tire Iron 0: Cropduster: Hills Snyder/Chris Sauter - December 28th, 2015
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015