For fans of combined boxing/fine arts news coverage, Bart Barry has a piece on 15 rounds.com that critiques both the art Museum of South Texas’ Art of the Dive: Portraits of the Deep show and the IBF light heavyweight title fight between Tavoris “Thunder” Cloud and Gabriel “Chico Guapo” Campillo at the American Bank Center Arena, across the two venues’ shared parking lot.
Barry’s art criticism (“did the artist paint this or trace it?”) is rudimentary compared with his fight analyses, (“a wondrous 150 seconds of violence, punctuated by a decisive overhand right.”) but juxtaposing the two in print, as they are juxtaposed in reality in bayside Corpus Christi is a treat.
also by Bill Davenport
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015
- Two Cents for Houston's New Cultural Plan - April 25th, 2015
- New Art Lands in the Woodlands - April 24th, 2015
- Bob Wade Revamps First Public Sculpture - in Waco! - April 19th, 2015