Bandele Tyehimba, owner of Pan African Connection, an African art gallery and meeting place for progressive organizations in South Dallas, has died. The 58-year old gallerist and activist went to rest on Wednesday evening; his wife, unable to rouse him, called paramedics. The cause of his death is as yet unknown.
A wake will be held in the upstairs meeting room from 6 to 8 p.m. Tuesday. The funeral will be Wednesday at St. Luke’s Community United Methodist Church in Dallas at 11 a.m. According to his family, the gallery will remain open in South Dallas, despite Tyehimba’s death and recent struggles with the poor economy and disputes with their landlords.
also by Bill Davenport
- Lego My Art! - January 30th, 2016
- Archive: Painting on My Planet/The Top Ten Painters in Houston - January 1st, 2016
- Archive: Tire Iron 0: Cropduster: Hills Snyder/Chris Sauter - December 28th, 2015
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015