Frieze Art Fair, scheduled for May 4-7, 2012 on Randall’s Island, Manhattan, has announced the names of eight artists commissioned to create pieces for the inaugural show. John Ahearn, Uri Aran, Latifa Echakhch, Joel Kyack, Rick Moody, Virginia Overton, Tim Rollins and K.O.S. and Ulla von Brandenburg will create pieces, the majority of which will be outdoors, and were selected by Cecilia Alemani, who said “Randall’s Island offers a stunning backdrop to the Frieze Projects: the invited artists have responded to the site by presenting a series of works that play with the unique landscape – both social and geographic – of the island. At turns participatory, irreverent and idyllic, this year’s Frieze Projects will transform Randall’s Island into a fantasy world.” Frieze New York is sponsored by Deutsche Bank, which has a large and valuable art collection of its own. For fans of the confluence of big art and big money, there’s a fascinating piece in last week’s Financial Times, about the bank’s curator, Friedhelm Hütte.
also by Bill Davenport
- Lego My Art! - January 30th, 2016
- Archive: Painting on My Planet/The Top Ten Painters in Houston - January 1st, 2016
- Archive: Tire Iron 0: Cropduster: Hills Snyder/Chris Sauter - December 28th, 2015
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015