Protean and prolific Houston painter Earl Staley is back in Houston, after his decade-long sojourn in Santa Fe, reincarnated as a slightly grayer figure in a white guayabera, panama hat, and black eyepatch. Robert Boyd, of The Great God Pan is Dead visited him at his studio over Art Supply on Main, and reports on Staley’s ups and downs (with photographs). Apparently Staley’s cutting up his old paintings and painting over them! But it gets worse: according to Boyd, Staley is divorced, no longer represented by Moody Gallery, his longtime Houston dealers, and has started blogging! His most recent post, on November 2, is grim, yet fascinating: titled “The Professor gets older by a year” it’s is sort of self-critique of a some of his earlier works combined with how-to photos of their destruction and remixing.
also by Bill Davenport
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015
- Two Cents for Houston's New Cultural Plan - April 25th, 2015
- New Art Lands in the Woodlands - April 24th, 2015
- Bob Wade Revamps First Public Sculpture - in Waco! - April 19th, 2015