The HoustonPress’ Meredith Deliso has a short feature about the contemporary art installed at the City of Houston’s new permitting center at 1002 Washington Ave. (an interesting bit of doublespeak, for the process of “permitting” is, at bottom, the process of not permitting things!) among the things the new center has permitted, is for artist Mary Margaret Hansen to coordinate twelve artistic interventions in the new building project, making for a mix of topical, unusually well-integrated contemporary art in the new facility that has already drawn praise from many quarters. Studio RED, lead architects for the project are lined up to work on the new Independent Arts Collaborative building, in what was the parking lot of the city’s OLD permitting (or, as it was called in a more direct era, “code enforcement”) center on Main St.
also by Bill Davenport
- Lego My Art! - January 30th, 2016
- Archive: Painting on My Planet/The Top Ten Painters in Houston - January 1st, 2016
- Archive: Tire Iron 0: Cropduster: Hills Snyder/Chris Sauter - December 28th, 2015
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015