Elizabeth Dunbar, the former curator and associate director at Austin’s Arthouse before its conflation with the Austin Museum of Art, has been named Executive Director of Houston’s Diverseworks Artspace. During her tenure in Austin, Dunbar became known for edgy programming, perhaps too edgy: she was ousted amid controversy from her position last year, leaving the organization without a curator on its staff.
Kellye Sanford, DiverseWorks board chair and leader of the search committee said of Dunbar, “She has strong Houston ties. And from her early days at the Whitney, she developed a firm grounding in institutional ethics and operational best practices. She combines a sound business perspective with a keen interest in artistic risk-taking.”
also by Bill Davenport
- Lego My Art! - January 30th, 2016
- Archive: Painting on My Planet/The Top Ten Painters in Houston - January 1st, 2016
- Archive: Tire Iron 0: Cropduster: Hills Snyder/Chris Sauter - December 28th, 2015
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015