Nathanniel Donnett’s What’s The New News project has hit the streets of Houston’s Third Ward, placing eight customized newspaper racks at neighborhood sites, reinterpreting original news stories at these sites with poems and raps and sculpture.
Collaborating with Donnett on the project are writers Ayanna McCloud, Egie Ighile, Michael K. Taylor, Phillip Pyle II, Tyres Bryant, Robert A. Pruitt and Kenya “Mumblz Medina” Evans, and visual artists Ann “Sole Sister” Johnson, Lovie Olivia, Regina Agu, Gregory M. Carter, William Cordova, Robert A. Pruitt, Rabe’a Ballin and Robert Hodge.
The racks are located at the El Dorado Ballroom (2310 Elgin), Community Artists’ Collective (1413 Holman), Texas Southern University Art Department (5600 Cleburne), S.H.A.P.E. Community Center (3903 Almeda), Almeda Post Office (7205 Almeda), the Breakfast Klub (3711 Travis), The Reggae Hut (4814 Almeda), and the Black Heritage Gallery (5408 Almeda).
also by Bill Davenport
- Lego My Art! - January 30th, 2016
- Archive: Painting on My Planet/The Top Ten Painters in Houston - January 1st, 2016
- Archive: Tire Iron 0: Cropduster: Hills Snyder/Chris Sauter - December 28th, 2015
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015