Jet on out to Marfa this weekend, Dec 9-11; LAND (Los Angeles Nomadic Division) is hosting a celebration of its citywide exhibition Nothing Beside Remains, a suite of eight commissioned public projects set to open in September, but already installed. Artists from Los Angeles use Marfa as a blank canvas to “address the beauty and poetry in decay, the inevitable decline of the monumental, and the fleeting presence of legacy in the face of the erosion of time.” Participating artists include Andrea Bowers, Sarah Cain, Sue de Beer, Rob Fischer, Karl Haendel, Ry Rocklen, Mungo Thomson, and Garth Weiser. The weekend includes receptions for each project, performances and programming by exhibiting artists, screenings, and guided bus tours of the exhibition. All free, but you’ve got to register, and get there, first!
Los Angeles Nomadic Division (LAND) is a non-profit art organization founded in 2009 by Shamim M. Momin, former contemporary curator at the Whitney Museum, and Christine Y. Kim, Associate Curator of Contemporary Art at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art (LACMA).
If your plane’s in the shop, don’t worry: the installations will remain in place through 2012.
also by Bill Davenport
- Lego My Art! - January 30th, 2016
- Archive: Painting on My Planet/The Top Ten Painters in Houston - January 1st, 2016
- Archive: Tire Iron 0: Cropduster: Hills Snyder/Chris Sauter - December 28th, 2015
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015