The renovated and expanded Julia Ideson Library in downtown Houston opened yesterday after a five-year, $32 million restoration. In addition to restoring the gorgeous Spanish Revival interior of the original 1926 building, named for Houston’s first professional librarian, a new 21,000 square foot archival storage wing houses the collections of the Houston Metroplitan Research Center. The unusual story (in history-averse Houston) of the Ideson building’s preservation was summarized in Papercity by Catherine Anspon last year.
also by Bill Davenport
- Lego My Art! - January 30th, 2016
- Archive: Painting on My Planet/The Top Ten Painters in Houston - January 1st, 2016
- Archive: Tire Iron 0: Cropduster: Hills Snyder/Chris Sauter - December 28th, 2015
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015