Dark for more than a decade, the iconic Harbor Bridge in Corpus Christi is now adorned with a state-of-the-art LED lighting system. The new $2.2 million system was switched on Sunday night with a 15 minute light show, complete with broadcast synchronized music, as part of the city’s downtown Christmas celebration. The system includes 950 LED lights that wrap the bridge frame and can be programmed in an array of colors, patterns, motions, words and video. The Corpus Christi Caller has a video of a test run.
Corrosion damaged the previous lighting system, which was turned off in 1998. The new system is expected to last for 10 years, when TxDOT plans to replace the 1959 bridge entirely.
also by Bill Davenport
- Lego My Art! - January 30th, 2016
- Archive: Painting on My Planet/The Top Ten Painters in Houston - January 1st, 2016
- Archive: Tire Iron 0: Cropduster: Hills Snyder/Chris Sauter - December 28th, 2015
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015