Houston artist Chuck Ivy will be the 2012 Glasstire virtual artist in residence, selected by jurors Brian Piana (our last VR) and Abinadi Meza. Ivy described himself as “a man of many hats- mostly fedoras” who, when resting from his pursuit of an MFA in Interdisciplinary Practices & Emerging Forms from the University of Houston, performs with the popular local band Beans Barton & the Bi-Peds. Last month he designed and built himself a new desk! Interdisciplinary, indeed.
For his residency project, Ivy proposes to expand Radio Gigamerz, his streaming internet collage project begun in 2010.
Inspired by the “Merz” projects of Kurt Schiwtters, Ivy will use the Glasstire virtual residency to find, collect, categorize and display assorted digital ephemera and detritus from around the internet and use it as a potential source of material for collage and appropriation.
also by Bill Davenport
- Lego My Art! - January 30th, 2016
- Archive: Painting on My Planet/The Top Ten Painters in Houston - January 1st, 2016
- Archive: Tire Iron 0: Cropduster: Hills Snyder/Chris Sauter - December 28th, 2015
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015