The Same day that Robert Wittman, author of a book on his exploits recovering stolen art at the FBI’s Art Crimes squad, was lecturing in town, a million-dollar Renoir painting was stolen at gunpoint (by a man in a ski mask, no less!) from a West Houston home. Now Wittman’s firm has been called in to help investigate. The painting, Madeline Leaning on Her Elbows with Flowers in Her Hair (1918) was stolen from the home of Vaughn Christopher Gallery owner Amy Vaughan King, an art dealer who was selling it on consignment, and who reportedly pointed the piece out to the robber as something worth stealing!
also by Bill Davenport
- Lego My Art! - January 30th, 2016
- Archive: Painting on My Planet/The Top Ten Painters in Houston - January 1st, 2016
- Archive: Tire Iron 0: Cropduster: Hills Snyder/Chris Sauter - December 28th, 2015
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015