Travis County Sculptor Damian Priour died Wednesday after a years-long struggle with cancer. He was 61. Priour’s symbolically abstract glass and limestone sculptures adorn the Austin Convention Center and the grounds of Laguna Gloria. On the boards of the Umlauf Sculpture Garden & Museum, the Austin Museum of Art, Hamilton Pool Road Scenic Corridor Coalition, the Hill Country Alliance and Ballet Austin, Priour was known for supporting the arts and artists. In 2008 he started the Texas Chair Project, making 100 small chairs that he sent, unannounced, to 100 Texas artists he admired, inviting them to make a small chair of their own design in return, to benefit environmental causes.
also by Bill Davenport
- Lego My Art! - January 30th, 2016
- Archive: Painting on My Planet/The Top Ten Painters in Houston - January 1st, 2016
- Archive: Tire Iron 0: Cropduster: Hills Snyder/Chris Sauter - December 28th, 2015
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015