007. CAM

Contemporary Arts Museum Houston, 1972, architect Gunnar Birkerts, 5216 Montrose Blvd., Museum District. CAMH was founded in 1948 to exhibit new art. The non-profit, volunteer-run organization built a small building in 1950 and hired its first paid professional director, Jermayne MacAgy, in 1955.   The striking Gunnar Birkerts' building opened to great fanfare in 1972. In the 1990s, the museum re-focused its mission to exhibit art from the previous forty years. "Molecular 3 + 3", a James Surls sculpture, was installed on the lawn in front of the museum in March 2011 and is on extended loan to the museum, courtesy of the artist.

also by Kelly Klaasmeyer

Print Friendly

Leave a Reply