003. MFAH:Mies

Museum of Fine Arts, Houston (Caroline Wiess Law Building), 1958/1974, architect Mies van der Rohe, 1001 Bissonnet St., Museum District. This is the only U.S. museum designed by Mies van der Rohe. The 1958 Mies-designed addition was attached to Willard Ward Watkin's original 1924 Neoclassical building which had been added on to in 1926 and further expanded with a new wing designed by Kenneth Franzheim in 1953. In 1974, the second van der Rohe addition to the museum, the Brown Pavilion (shown here), was completed. The original Watkin building and all of the subsequent additions are still standing, although the orientation of the museum was reversed from facing the landmark Mecom Fountain and now faces Bissonnet St.

also by Kelly Klaasmeyer

Print Friendly

Leave a Reply