On Saturday, August 27th, Austin Art in Public Places celebrates the dedication of the way-finding “Obeliscos” at intersections along 7th St. commissioned as part of Jennifer Chenoweth’s East 7th St. Improvement Project.
First conceived in 2003, the ribbon-cutting for the long-running project will be in the parking lot of the HEB located at E.7th Street and Calles (one block west of Pleasant Valley Road) at 9am. Eight artists who were commissioned to created artwork for the obeliscos, and many will be in attendance to talk about their works: Ben Appl (Comal St.), Maggie DeSanto (Robert Martinez St.), Martin Garcia (Pleasant Valley Rd.), Claudia Reese (Calles St.), Alonso Rey-Sanchez (Pedernales St.), Nailah Sankofa (Northwestern Ave.), Susan Wallace (Webberville Rd.), and Aly Winningham (Chicon St.); nearby restaurants will be handing out food and drink samples.
also by Bill Davenport
- Lego My Art! - January 30th, 2016
- Archive: Painting on My Planet/The Top Ten Painters in Houston - January 1st, 2016
- Archive: Tire Iron 0: Cropduster: Hills Snyder/Chris Sauter - December 28th, 2015
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015