Patricia Sue Canterbury has been hired as associate curator of American art at the DMA, effective September 19. Since 1998, Canterbury has been associate curator of paintings at the Minneapolis Institute of Arts, where she curated Noble Dreams & Simple Pleasures: American Masterworks from Minnesota Collections, Beauford Delaney: From New York to Paris, Georgia O’Keeffe: Circling Around Abstraction, and Villa America: American Moderns 1900–1950. Her area of specialization is transatlantic exchange between America and Europe during the late 19th and early 20th centuries.
A graduate of Wellesly and Williams College, her first job was at the Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute in mountainous Williamstown, MA; as a native of the Western Massachusetts myself, I’d like to welcome Sue to Texas with the assurance that although the flatness will remain, the heat will abate sometime soon after Halloween.
also by Bill Davenport
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015
- Two Cents for Houston's New Cultural Plan - April 25th, 2015
- New Art Lands in the Woodlands - April 24th, 2015
- Bob Wade Revamps First Public Sculpture - in Waco! - April 19th, 2015