The various Smithsonian museums in Washington D.C. are always free (and federally funded!); once a year, Smithsonian magazine’s Museum Day twists the arms of other orgs to open their doors for free too, and this year it’s going to be September 24.
Some Texas art museums on board for the event include Crow Collection of Asian Art, Blanton Museum of Art, Dallas Museum of Art, Ellen Noel Art Museum in Odessa, Houston Center for Contemporary Craft, Houston Center for Photography, International Museum of Art & Science (IMAS) in McAllen, The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, and the Tyler Museum of Art , and many others, some of which are free anyway! The rarity of museum free-ness is further spoiled by Houston Museum District Day on September 17, which also features many free admissions.
also by Bill Davenport
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015
- Two Cents for Houston's New Cultural Plan - April 25th, 2015
- New Art Lands in the Woodlands - April 24th, 2015
- Bob Wade Revamps First Public Sculpture - in Waco! - April 19th, 2015