Steven Thomson discusses Kristina Van Dyke’s move to the Pulitzer Foundation, the Menil’s role as a training ground for hot young curators, and the future of African art at the Menil with Director Josef Helfenstein on Culturemap, pointing out that Van Dyke follows Franklin Sirmans and Susan Davidson to bigger and better things following a stint at the Menil. Says Helfenstein, “I’m proud that our people are going to great institutions. I want to give young people a great opportunity. If they do extraordinary work, then they’ll move on and go to bigger institutions. It’s a good thing for the field, and it’s a good thing for us philosophically as an institution to do.” But what about good for Houston?
also by Bill Davenport
- Lego My Art! - January 30th, 2016
- Archive: Painting on My Planet/The Top Ten Painters in Houston - January 1st, 2016
- Archive: Tire Iron 0: Cropduster: Hills Snyder/Chris Sauter - December 28th, 2015
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015