In a twist on the upsurge of multimedia approaches in contemporary art, the Houston Museum of Fine arts is retrofitting the classics to work together to create a new gallery going experience: the walking concert. On each of two nights, August 6 and 7, a crowd of up to 100 will stroll through the MFAH’s European gallerys accompanied by the singing group Cantare, who perform a cappella music of Monteverdi, the Gabrielis, and Willaert, interspersed with with art historical commentary by Dr. Helga Kessler Aurisch, the MFAH’s Curator of European Art. Saturday, August 6, 2011 and repeated Sunday, August 7, 2011 at 7:30 p.m. Tickets $50! For the more sedentary or less well-heeled, the Rothko Chapel continues its music-near-paintings series with the suitably atmospheric MURAL concert and CD release on Saturday, August 27 at 3pm, and it’s free!
also by Bill Davenport
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015
- Two Cents for Houston's New Cultural Plan - April 25th, 2015
- New Art Lands in the Woodlands - April 24th, 2015
- Bob Wade Revamps First Public Sculpture - in Waco! - April 19th, 2015