Culturemap’s Steven Thomson questions whether the upscaling and combining of several of Houston’s important arts orgs into the new Independent Arts Collaborative building, now in the planning stages for a Main St site in Midtown, will slam the door on the many low-budget groups that use the orgs’ spaces on a part time basis. Of course it will, but the process, codified in my 2007 blog on “Org Ecology,” is natural, and inevitable. “Nonprofit organizations are like sharks- they’ve got to keep swimming or they’ll die,” I said, and so it goes: smaller, poorer, fringier orgs will occupy the former tawdry spaces the majors (now they’re “majors”) are abandoning, and life will go on . . .
also by Bill Davenport
- Lego My Art! - January 30th, 2016
- Archive: Painting on My Planet/The Top Ten Painters in Houston - January 1st, 2016
- Archive: Tire Iron 0: Cropduster: Hills Snyder/Chris Sauter - December 28th, 2015
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015