Sometime Glasstire blogger and ex-Texan Evan J. Garza has co-founded the Fire Island Artist Residency, the first artist-in-residence program exclusively for gay, lesbian bisexual and trans-gender artists (and non GLBT artists working with queer themes) which will host its first crop of summer residents in August. Juried by Contemporary Arts Museum, Houston director Bill Arning and artist AA Bronson, submissions for this first set of residencies was overwhelming, as is the star-studded list of visiting artists and critics making the hop from New York to the storied summer resort.
Residency founder Chris Bogia works in the NYU Steinhardt Department of Art and Arts Professions as the academic administrator, director of pre-college programming, and as an adjunct instructor for multiple media and e currently lives and works in New York City. Evan J. Garza is an independent curator and is Editor-at-Large for New American Paintings. He lives in Boston with his husband-to-be, Michael Brodeur.
also by Bill Davenport
- Lego My Art! - January 30th, 2016
- Archive: Painting on My Planet/The Top Ten Painters in Houston - January 1st, 2016
- Archive: Tire Iron 0: Cropduster: Hills Snyder/Chris Sauter - December 28th, 2015
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015