A one-night event merging sweaty bodies, neo-ancestral ritual, and performance art is coming to Houston’s warehouse district Saturday. Called Soulstice, the event is organized by theater theorist Kevin Holden, artistic director of Horse Head Theatre Company. Funded in part by nonprofit arts orgs and direct donations, the event seems more directed than a rave, and is definitely cheaper, but shares in the ritualistic edge-of-the-apocalypse imagery cultivated by more commercial late-nite sweaty-body events. Self described as a “three part, theatricalized, contemporary, secular, low fat, ceremonial presentation” it begins at 7pm July 23 at The Silo, 415 Schweikhardt St., Houston.
also by Bill Davenport
- Lego My Art! - January 30th, 2016
- Archive: Painting on My Planet/The Top Ten Painters in Houston - January 1st, 2016
- Archive: Tire Iron 0: Cropduster: Hills Snyder/Chris Sauter - December 28th, 2015
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015