Despite a $2000 award, despite resume-building new-media cachet, despite the popularity of past residents‘ online projects, the storied connectedness of the social media continuum has failed so far to draw ambitious artists to apply for Glasstire’s 2011 Virtual Residency. “Okay folks, so far we have ONE, count ’em, ONE virtual residency application!” squawked Glasstire Editor Kelly Klaasmeyer in an internal email calling for a renewed effort to get the word out. The award, given for the production of a web-based art project is open to all Texas artists over 18, who need only describe their proposed project, and send in a few work samples! Austin sound artist Abinadi Meza and Houston virtualist Brian Piana are the jurors for the 2011 residency.
also by Bill Davenport
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015
- Two Cents for Houston's New Cultural Plan - April 25th, 2015
- New Art Lands in the Woodlands - April 24th, 2015
- Bob Wade Revamps First Public Sculpture - in Waco! - April 19th, 2015