Combining her loves of crafting and space exploration, self-described “hand embroidery-obsessed, massive space geek” Rachel Hobson of Houston saw a print of one of her embroidered pieces take flight with the final mission of the space shuttle Atlantis. Hobson won a contest sponsored by NASA and Etsy with a thickly-textured 4×6″ patch depicting the moon’s surface; although the patch itself was too heavy for the shuttle’s tight weight budget, a slim photographic print of the piece will make the space trip. Along with art-in-space opportunity, Hobson herself got a trip to view the launch in Florida.
also by Bill Davenport
- Lego My Art! - January 30th, 2016
- Archive: Painting on My Planet/The Top Ten Painters in Houston - January 1st, 2016
- Archive: Tire Iron 0: Cropduster: Hills Snyder/Chris Sauter - December 28th, 2015
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015