Combining her loves of crafting and space exploration, self-described “hand embroidery-obsessed, massive space geek” Rachel Hobson of Houston saw a print of one of her embroidered pieces take flight with the final mission of the space shuttle Atlantis. Hobson won a contest sponsored by NASA and Etsy with a thickly-textured 4×6″ patch depicting the moon’s surface; although the patch itself was too heavy for the shuttle’s tight weight budget, a slim photographic print of the piece will make the space trip. Along with art-in-space opportunity, Hobson herself got a trip to view the launch in Florida.
also by Bill Davenport
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015
- Two Cents for Houston's New Cultural Plan - April 25th, 2015
- New Art Lands in the Woodlands - April 24th, 2015
- Bob Wade Revamps First Public Sculpture - in Waco! - April 19th, 2015