San Antonio artist Leigh Anne Lester has won the $50,000 Hunting art Prize this year. Her pencil drawing, “Mutant Spectre” was chosen from among 110 other finalists’ works at the award gala event on Saturday night at the Friedkin Corporate Campus of Gulf States Toyota. Lester is the co-founder of San Antonio’s Cactus Bra gallery, and is the manager of San Angel Folk Art Gallery. Jurors Rachael Blackburn Cozad, Director of the Kemper Museum of Contemporary Art; Carol Damian, Director of the Frost Art Museum at Florida International University; and Julien Robson, Curator of Contemporary Art, Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts in Philadelphia made the choices in a two-tiered process.
also by Bill Davenport
- Lego My Art! - January 30th, 2016
- Archive: Painting on My Planet/The Top Ten Painters in Houston - January 1st, 2016
- Archive: Tire Iron 0: Cropduster: Hills Snyder/Chris Sauter - December 28th, 2015
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015