Lee Rosenbaum’s Culturegrrl blog reports that an unnamed conservative congressman went to bat for the Smithsonian’s right to show A Fire in My Belly by David Wojnarowicz, relieving some of the political pressure on the institution from right-wing Republicans hoping to make political hay out of the Smithsonian’s curatorial decisions. Richard Kurin, the Smithsonian’s under secretary for history, art and culture told of this shadowy figure who, though he hated the show, defended the Smithsonian’s overall program. Tellingly, the congressman remains anonymous, likely out of fear that his moderate, reasoned views might lose him votes back home!
also by Bill Davenport
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015
- Two Cents for Houston's New Cultural Plan - April 25th, 2015
- New Art Lands in the Woodlands - April 24th, 2015
- Bob Wade Revamps First Public Sculpture - in Waco! - April 19th, 2015