Marfa artists Nick Terry and Maryam Amiryani have organized the Dersu Collective to use art money to improve Marfa’s neighborhood amenities. Named for the couple’s malamute, the non-exclusive group includes artists Valerie Arber, Jennifer Lane, Lorna Leedy, Michael Roch, and Sam Schonzeit. The collective’s first project will be a playing field around Spring and First streets, funded by a one-night art benefit held Saturday at the Marfa Book Co. Terry is supplying the land; money raised will clear debris, put in gates, and buy some playing equipment.
also by Bill Davenport
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015
- Two Cents for Houston's New Cultural Plan - April 25th, 2015
- New Art Lands in the Woodlands - April 24th, 2015
- Bob Wade Revamps First Public Sculpture - in Waco! - April 19th, 2015