Still no sign of Chinese dissident artist Ai WeiWei, who was detained by Chinese authorities five days ago as he was boarding a plane in Beijing and has been charged with unspecified “economic crimes,” which, according to the NY Times is “frequently used as a legal cover by police officers who wish to detain or imprison someone whom Communist Party officials consider a political threat.” New York City and the art promoter AW Asia have decided to go ahead with Circle of Animals, a large outdoor piece set to be installed in central park on May 2.
also by Bill Davenport
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015
- Two Cents for Houston's New Cultural Plan - April 25th, 2015
- New Art Lands in the Woodlands - April 24th, 2015
- Bob Wade Revamps First Public Sculpture - in Waco! - April 19th, 2015