The Museum of fine Arts Houston has announced the acquisition of a dozen more James Turrell light sculptures, selected by the artist museum staff, and the funders as a cross section of his work in the medium from 1967-2010. Expanding on the popularity of Turrell’s Sensatiuonal tunnel, The Light Inside which the museum commissioned in 1999, the new pieces make the MFAH a player in the upcoming retrospective which The MFAH will co-sponsor with the Guggenheim and the Los Angeles County Museum of Art. According to Douglas Britt at the Houston Chronicle, Rice University has also caught Turrell fever: they have commissioned a skyspace of their own using multimillion-dollar gift from alumna Suzanne Deal Booth.
also by Bill Davenport
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015
- Two Cents for Houston's New Cultural Plan - April 25th, 2015
- New Art Lands in the Woodlands - April 24th, 2015
- Bob Wade Revamps First Public Sculpture - in Waco! - April 19th, 2015