Art critic and historian Leo Steinberg died Sunday, March 13 in New York at age 90. Best known in academic circles for provocative analysis of the sexuality of Christ images in the Renaissance, Steinberg is better known to practicing artists for “The Eye Is a Part of the Mind” his 1953 proto-counter-formalist essay that is still sighed over in art-school dorm rooms today.
also by Bill Davenport
- Lego My Art! - January 30th, 2016
- Archive: Painting on My Planet/The Top Ten Painters in Houston - January 1st, 2016
- Archive: Tire Iron 0: Cropduster: Hills Snyder/Chris Sauter - December 28th, 2015
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015