The second Border Art Biennial juried by Rita Gonzalez, assistant curator at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art and Itala Schmelz, director of the Museo de Arte Carrillo Gil in Mexico City is on view at the El Paso’s Museum of Art and Ciudad Juárez’s Paso Del Norte until Feb. 13. Though meant to draw art from both sides of the US/Mexico border equally, only nine of the 42 works included are by Mexican artists, a disappointing situation that Christian Gerstheimer, curator at the El Paso Museum of Art hopes to remedy in 2012 by providing entry materials in both Spanish and English! "We think that a lot of participants were discouraged by seeing that the application process was in English," Gerstheimer said.
also by Bill Davenport
- Lego My Art! - January 30th, 2016
- Archive: Painting on My Planet/The Top Ten Painters in Houston - January 1st, 2016
- Archive: Tire Iron 0: Cropduster: Hills Snyder/Chris Sauter - December 28th, 2015
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015