Several San Antonio news outlets have reported that executive director Matthew Drutt is leaving Artpace, effective immediately. Drutt joined Artpace in 2006 after leaving the Menil Collection where he was chief curator. Speaking with Glasstire about his departure, Drutt said, "I finished the job I came here to do. It has been a discussion with the board over the last few months and we both decided that for Artpace’s next phase, it should have fresh leadership." Drutt will be focusing on several curatorial endeavors including a project for the Venice Biennale sponsored by the Flo Art Fund. Artpace board chairman J. Travis Capps Jr. issued a statement lauding Drutt’s accomplishments as director, including the epic statewide exhibition Felix Gonzalez-Torres: Billboards. Associate Director of Development, Mary Heathcott, will serve as Interim Managing Director at Artpace.
also by Bill Davenport
- Lego My Art! - January 30th, 2016
- Archive: Painting on My Planet/The Top Ten Painters in Houston - January 1st, 2016
- Archive: Tire Iron 0: Cropduster: Hills Snyder/Chris Sauter - December 28th, 2015
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015