Using nouveau low-odor spray paint and a design worked out between the Houston Public Library and street artists Gonzo247 and MERGE360, old men of the Houston graffiti scene, are working on a new mural for the library’s downtown parking garage. Organized by Carolyn Casey of CKCStart, the education and outreach wing of the street art veterans’ Aerosol Warfare Gallery, the mural combines a world map and freeform swops and spashes in a curiously hybrid experiment: the library hopes to reach out to an urban art audience, the urban artists hope for mainstream credibility. Win/win or lose/lose?
also by Bill Davenport
- Lego My Art! - January 30th, 2016
- Archive: Painting on My Planet/The Top Ten Painters in Houston - January 1st, 2016
- Archive: Tire Iron 0: Cropduster: Hills Snyder/Chris Sauter - December 28th, 2015
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015