A ten-foot statue of former Congressman Charles Wilson will be unveiled at 1pm Wed. January 12 in front of the Charles Wilson VA outpatient clinic in Lufkin. The sculpture, titled "Standing Tall with Charlie Wilson" is by Texas’ favorite memorializer of power, David Addickes, whose work includes the 67-foot-tall Sam Houston at Huntsville, an 8-foot bronze statue of former President George H. W. Bush in the Bush International Airport in Houston. Wilson died in 2010. He served 12 terms as a U.S. House of Representatives member from Lufkin, helping to secure millions of dollars for the 2nd Congressional District of Texas and, during the Reagan administration, helping to secure funding for the anti-Soviet forces in Afghanistan.
also by Bill Davenport
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015
- Two Cents for Houston's New Cultural Plan - April 25th, 2015
- New Art Lands in the Woodlands - April 24th, 2015
- Bob Wade Revamps First Public Sculpture - in Waco! - April 19th, 2015