European tax authorities have ruled that light and video projection works by Bill Viola and Dan Flavin are not art under the VAT rules, and are thus subject to a much higher import duty, reversing a two year old British court’s ruling. In its ruling, the European Commission’s VAT and Duties Tribunal describes a Dan Flavin work as having “the characteristics of lighting fittings. . ."
also by Bill Davenport
- Lego My Art! - January 30th, 2016
- Archive: Painting on My Planet/The Top Ten Painters in Houston - January 1st, 2016
- Archive: Tire Iron 0: Cropduster: Hills Snyder/Chris Sauter - December 28th, 2015
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015