European tax authorities have ruled that light and video projection works by Bill Viola and Dan Flavin are not art under the VAT rules, and are thus subject to a much higher import duty, reversing a two year old British court’s ruling. In its ruling, the European Commission’s VAT and Duties Tribunal describes a Dan Flavin work as having “the characteristics of lighting fittings. . ."
also by Bill Davenport
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015
- Two Cents for Houston's New Cultural Plan - April 25th, 2015
- New Art Lands in the Woodlands - April 24th, 2015
- Bob Wade Revamps First Public Sculpture - in Waco! - April 19th, 2015