That old Battle of San Jacinto painting found in a West Virginia attic was auctioned off in Dallas for a whopping $354,000 last week. The winning bidder has chosen to remain anonymous and will have the painting conserved. Painted in 1901 by Irish-american artist Henry Arthur McCardle, the piece was commissioned but never paid for and remained in the artist’s family’s attic until now.
also by Bill Davenport
- Lego My Art! - January 30th, 2016
- Archive: Painting on My Planet/The Top Ten Painters in Houston - January 1st, 2016
- Archive: Tire Iron 0: Cropduster: Hills Snyder/Chris Sauter - December 28th, 2015
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015