That old Battle of San Jacinto painting found in a West Virginia attic was auctioned off in Dallas for a whopping $354,000 last week. The winning bidder has chosen to remain anonymous and will have the painting conserved. Painted in 1901 by Irish-american artist Henry Arthur McCardle, the piece was commissioned but never paid for and remained in the artist’s family’s attic until now.
also by Bill Davenport
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015
- Two Cents for Houston's New Cultural Plan - April 25th, 2015
- New Art Lands in the Woodlands - April 24th, 2015
- Bob Wade Revamps First Public Sculpture - in Waco! - April 19th, 2015