Houston sculptor Bob Fowler is dead at age 79. Fowler, best known for his sculpture of African Elephants outside the Hosuton Zoo, leaves behind many large-scale works in metal throughout the city: two horses at Jones Hall, a swimmer in front of La Colombe D’or Hotel on Montrose Boulevard; a 20-foot abstract piece at the entrance to The Woodlands; a 12-foot abstract animal likeness at the Texas Medical Center; an abstracted scene of a longhorn fighting a cougar outside the Student Center at the University of Houston. A memorial service will be held Dec. 4 at St. Thomas High School.
also by Bill Davenport
- Lego My Art! - January 30th, 2016
- Archive: Painting on My Planet/The Top Ten Painters in Houston - January 1st, 2016
- Archive: Tire Iron 0: Cropduster: Hills Snyder/Chris Sauter - December 28th, 2015
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015