Peter Hurd’s curved 16 x 46 foot mural in the old Prudential Life Insurance Building in Houston Medical Center will be removed and re-installed at a custom-built public library in Artesia, N.M., saving it from impending destruction. Workers will reinforce the enormous ranch scene on plaster with fiberglass, then truck it to it’s new home at a cost of about $500,000, provided by an unnamed Artesia donor. M.D. Anderson Cancer Center plans to raze the mural’s original site and has been searching for a new home for the mural for months.
also by Bill Davenport
- Lego My Art! - January 30th, 2016
- Archive: Painting on My Planet/The Top Ten Painters in Houston - January 1st, 2016
- Archive: Tire Iron 0: Cropduster: Hills Snyder/Chris Sauter - December 28th, 2015
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015