The spacious studio of Dallas native Ludwig Schwarz has beautiful natural light. The ceiling is covered with old pressed tin tiles and the paint-splattered wooden floor tells stories of past work. At first, Schwarz’s studio had a chaotic energy to it. But after settling in, I felt more relaxed and saw that Schwarz has a very calm nature that he brings to his studio and his vibrant and varied work. Using a combination of painting, video, sculpture and kitchen spices, his work is difficult to characterize and, at times, downright funny.
Ludwig Schwarz received a BFA from Southern Methodist University in Dallas and an MFA from the School of Visual Arts in New York. His work has been exhibited nationally and internationally at venues including PS 1, New York; DiverseWorks, Houston; Carnegie Mellon Art Gallery, Pittsburgh; ICA, London and Kunstbunker Tumulka, Munich, Germany. Schwarz was a finalist for the 2005 Arthouse Texas Prize.
is a Houston photographer.
also by Everett Taasevigen
- Glass Houses 31: Mary McCleary - September 7th, 2016
- Glass Houses 27: JooYoung Choi - October 6th, 2015
- Glass Houses 22: Lizzy Wetzel - August 23rd, 2010
- Glass Houses 19: Marjorie Schwarz - May 7th, 2010
- Glass Houses 18: Margaret Meehan and Noah Simblist - March 20th, 2010