A trove of unusual copper, terra-cotta and stone sculptures from the ancient West African city-state of Ife are coming to the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston after their latest stop at the British Museum in London. Sophisticated copper-alloy portrait heads and deformed or diseased figures in terra cotta are on loan from Nigeria’s National Commission for Museums and Monuments, and many have never before left that West African nation. The MFAH is also hosting two of the Nigerian commission’s project managers during the exhibition run to expose them to U.S. museum practices.The show opens Sunday, September 19 and runs through January 9.
also by Bill Davenport
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015
- Two Cents for Houston's New Cultural Plan - April 25th, 2015
- New Art Lands in the Woodlands - April 24th, 2015
- Bob Wade Revamps First Public Sculpture - in Waco! - April 19th, 2015