A trove of unusual copper, terra-cotta and stone sculptures from the ancient West African city-state of Ife are coming to the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston after their latest stop at the British Museum in London. Sophisticated copper-alloy portrait heads and deformed or diseased figures in terra cotta are on loan from Nigeria’s National Commission for Museums and Monuments, and many have never before left that West African nation. The MFAH is also hosting two of the Nigerian commission’s project managers during the exhibition run to expose them to U.S. museum practices.The show opens Sunday, September 19 and runs through January 9.
also by Bill Davenport
- Lego My Art! - January 30th, 2016
- Archive: Painting on My Planet/The Top Ten Painters in Houston - January 1st, 2016
- Archive: Tire Iron 0: Cropduster: Hills Snyder/Chris Sauter - December 28th, 2015
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015