This winter Texas: a Sculpture Celebrating High School Football will be unveiled to coincide with the Superbowl. The 16-foot-tall assemblage of steel recycled from the demolished Texas Stadium and scraps of steel sent by as many as 1,400 Texas high schools will be erected in Sundance Square in Fort Worth. The piece is, of course, in the shape of Texas; An oil rig will form part of the base, and a football will burst through the center of the state. The inscription will read "Cradle of Champions." High schools are being asked to send the names of students who went on to play in the National Football League, so their names will be etched in the back.
also by Bill Davenport
- Lego My Art! - January 30th, 2016
- Archive: Painting on My Planet/The Top Ten Painters in Houston - January 1st, 2016
- Archive: Tire Iron 0: Cropduster: Hills Snyder/Chris Sauter - December 28th, 2015
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015