Everyone’s in on it: Ballroom Marfa, The Washington Spectator, The Big Bend Sentinel, Marfa Public Radio, and Marfa Book Company, are presenting Marfa Dialogues: Politics and Culture of the Border, a three-day symposium of art, film, music, and literature on September 17-19. Participants include journalists Cecilia Ballí, Charles Bowden, Mark Danner, Robert Halpern, Dahr Jamail, and Sandra Rodríguez Nieto; publisher Hamilton Fish, GRITtv host Laura Flanders, Professor of Political Science Kathleen Staudt, filmmaker Luis Carlos Davis, Las Cruces-based artist David Taylor. Events include a poetry reading by author Benjamin Alire Sáenz, screenings of HBO’s The Fence and Davis’s documentary 389 Miles, a musical performance by the Los Angeles-based band La Santa Cecilia, and a closing reception and brunch will be held at Ballroom Marfa in tandem with the closing of its recent exhibition, In Lieu of Unity, from 11:30am-1pm. on Sunday, September 19. Facepainting and balloons for children will also be part of the festivities. Free!
also by Bill Davenport
- Lego My Art! - January 30th, 2016
- Archive: Painting on My Planet/The Top Ten Painters in Houston - January 1st, 2016
- Archive: Tire Iron 0: Cropduster: Hills Snyder/Chris Sauter - December 28th, 2015
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015