The Houston Chronicle ran an editorial yesterday dissecting the racial politics behind Texas Southern University’s conflicted behavior. TSU painting over two 1971 Harvey Johnson murals on its campus two weeks ago, and yesterday promised to spend $50,000 restoring others. Historical significance aside, the editorial argues it was the murals’ uncomfortable use of colloquial black spelling and puctuation that offended university president John Rudley.
also by Bill Davenport
- Lego My Art! - January 30th, 2016
- Archive: Painting on My Planet/The Top Ten Painters in Houston - January 1st, 2016
- Archive: Tire Iron 0: Cropduster: Hills Snyder/Chris Sauter - December 28th, 2015
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015