Two murals by longtime professor Harvey Johnson were painted over last week by Texas Southern University. The pieces, painted in 1970-71 as Johnson’s required graduation mural project may or may not have been his best work, but their historical significance to the university’s art department made them irreplaceable. Johnson retired from TSU in 2007. University President John Rudley, whose office shared space with the deteriorated murals in Hannah Hall, called the pieces eyesores.
also by Bill Davenport
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015
- Two Cents for Houston's New Cultural Plan - April 25th, 2015
- New Art Lands in the Woodlands - April 24th, 2015
- Bob Wade Revamps First Public Sculpture - in Waco! - April 19th, 2015