Two murals by longtime professor Harvey Johnson were painted over last week by Texas Southern University. The pieces, painted in 1970-71 as Johnson’s required graduation mural project may or may not have been his best work, but their historical significance to the university’s art department made them irreplaceable. Johnson retired from TSU in 2007. University President John Rudley, whose office shared space with the deteriorated murals in Hannah Hall, called the pieces eyesores.
also by Bill Davenport
- Lego My Art! - January 30th, 2016
- Archive: Painting on My Planet/The Top Ten Painters in Houston - January 1st, 2016
- Archive: Tire Iron 0: Cropduster: Hills Snyder/Chris Sauter - December 28th, 2015
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015