The Houston Press’ Troy Schulze gripes about a stump in this weeks’ paper. The stump, or lump, planted in downtown Houston’s Market Square park, is actually a dog carved by James Phillips from a live oak tree killed by Hurricane Ike in Galveston. Though Schulze calls the piece a brown lump, its syrupy varnish makes it seem more like pancakes. Schul;ze gets in a sideswipe at James Surls Point of View whle he’s there.
also by Bill Davenport
- Lego My Art! - January 30th, 2016
- Archive: Painting on My Planet/The Top Ten Painters in Houston - January 1st, 2016
- Archive: Tire Iron 0: Cropduster: Hills Snyder/Chris Sauter - December 28th, 2015
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015