The Houston Press’ Troy Schulze gripes about a stump in this weeks’ paper. The stump, or lump, planted in downtown Houston’s Market Square park, is actually a dog carved by James Phillips from a live oak tree killed by Hurricane Ike in Galveston. Though Schulze calls the piece a brown lump, its syrupy varnish makes it seem more like pancakes. Schul;ze gets in a sideswipe at James Surls Point of View whle he’s there.
also by Bill Davenport
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015
- Two Cents for Houston's New Cultural Plan - April 25th, 2015
- New Art Lands in the Woodlands - April 24th, 2015
- Bob Wade Revamps First Public Sculpture - in Waco! - April 19th, 2015