The Texas Sunflower Project is competing for a $50,000 grant from Pepsi’s Refresh Project to plant 50 giant metal sunflowers with rotating, self-sustaining LED lights across Texas. The sculptures, made from recycled solar panels and colored LEDs can soak up sunlight during the day and light up at night under their own power. Howard Weliver, builder of the first such sunflower near White Rock Lake outside Dallas, is an artist/businessman who wants to "create art that produces energy." The project ranks 337th on Pepsi’s list right now (only the top ten get funded), and online voting will end on August 31.
also by Bill Davenport
- Lego My Art! - January 30th, 2016
- Archive: Painting on My Planet/The Top Ten Painters in Houston - January 1st, 2016
- Archive: Tire Iron 0: Cropduster: Hills Snyder/Chris Sauter - December 28th, 2015
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015